Wednesday, February 21, 2018

"Whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me."

Written Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Today was water truck day, where we visited Cite Soleil to deliver water to those who live there. It was a beautiful experience. The children were genuinely excited to see the truck pull up, and had big smiles as we got out of the truck. We were the children’s entertainment while their parents filled their buckets with water. It was a day that you couldn’t help but wonder how you could be of more service to these people, and a day that challenged your perspective. These children are living in extreme poverty, yet they have the largest smiles on their faces. I have so much and it is not to say that I am not happy, but it challenges my perspective on happiness and what really brings a person true happiness. At the end of the night, our group gathered around to share our thoughts on the day and we ended our day with a wonderful excerpt from Mother Teresa’s book, “No Greater Love.” She had amazing perspective on our world and differences between being physically poor versus those who are spiritually poor.

The reality is that we need each other to satisfy those needs. Our day ended with a reading from Matthew 25, “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ 

Jane F.



No comments:

Post a Comment