Sunday, July 14, 2013

Happiness

Haiti is beautiful in so many ways.  Today, the group and I tried something different by going to a beach.  The beach was absolutely stunning, having some of the clearest ocean water I have ever seen, music, excellent food, and a gorgeous view of the mountains and ocean.  I also had the opportunity to snorkel!  Seeing this gave me hope for Haiti, as it would be nice if some day every part of Haiti could look this beautiful along with its wonderful people.

Being as this is my final full day in Haiti, I'd like to share some of what I have learned throughout this trip.  I came on this trip knowing that the country was poor from hearing stories from my various family members (many of which were influenced by my absolutely incredible great uncle, Father Reiser) and seeing many pictures and blogs.  Because of these things, I thought I had some idea of what to expect, but once I arrived here my mind was blown.  If you ever have the chance, please come down to Haiti.  Experiencing Haiti in person did so much more than any picture or blog was ever be able to do and has change my outlook on life.  The amount of happiness and friendliness everybody has, despite living conditions, is unbelievable.  Everybody is always willing to greet one another and share their own personal stories.  The amount of love I received from every child, man, and woman moved me so much.  Everybody made me feel like we were all part of one big family, a feeling which I will definitely miss in the U.S.  The Haitians truly understand the power of love, which allows them to value the important things in life.  Nothing in my life has every moved me so in such a short period of time.  Last week, I never thought I would want to spend more than a few days in a place with beat up roads, tin shacks, and so much poverty, but now, it brings tears to my eyes knowing that I leave tomorrow.  I know my life must continue back in the states and there is much I can do to help at home as well.  I will miss the Haitian people and hopefully be able to visit this country again one day, a country that feels like a new home.

Haiti, you may only be a small dot on the map, but you have earned the biggest place in my heart.

Writing with love to every Haitian and those back at home,

Alex Kopen






Thanks to my wonderful Aunt Susie for helping me immensely with all of my blogs!

3 comments:

  1. Mwen kontan tou! Byen fet. Pa kriye, tande.
    Auntie Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certain the Haitian people loved you just as much as you loved them, Alex. Just as they left a mark on your heart, so did you on theirs. I'm so very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete