Sunday, March 15, 2015

He is here

Morning in Haiti is my favorite time of the day.  It’s dark and quiet, except for the sound of roosters crowing, and the coolness of the air makes it hard to believe that in a few short hours it will be over 90 degrees.  Beyond the walls of guesthouse, peeks of Port au Prince are lit up in the pre-dawn light and the sounds of worship are just building at the nearby tent service.  And best of all, it’s alone time with God. 




When I made my first trip to Haiti three years ago, I had no idea how present God would be in this desperately poor country.  If I had to guess, my assumption would have been that our Lord would be hard to find amongst the dusty roads, the bedraggled people, the worn out buildings, the poverty.  But much to my shock, His presence was more palatable than I had ever experienced.

On every trip I’ve made to Haiti since my first one, I find myself looking forward to that strong bonding with God.  On this trip, we have already looked into the face of God on school children, orphans, sick babies and adults, and on handicapped children.  Tomorrow we will look into the face of Him on some of the beautiful elderly people of Haiti.  It has been a joy to observe my team members so effortlessly opening their hearts and letting God work through them by serving the people of Haiti in His name. 


Equally, I love observing the love of God in the Haitian people.  In the midst of trouble and sadness, His presence is strongly felt.  God is their resource for hope and survival.  Many days, God is all they have.  In prayer and song, they praise Him vehemently, and their faith in Him sustains them. 

At morning Mass two days ago, Father Tom talked about the faith of the Haitian people and how they count on God’s presence to get them through each day.  He said they simply say, “Jezi la.”  (“God is here”).  And He is.

Ann Brau






No comments:

Post a Comment