Monday, March 16, 2015

Music.

Today I am reminded of lyrics I sung nearly 20 years ago as a young girl in middle school choir.
“Music is the universal language each and everyone understands. It heals broken hearts and sets the spirit free.”

Upper-left: "Tent" church
Lower-left: Heather and Bill dancing after dinner
Right: Kaylee and her friend at Sacred Heart home for abandoned women

This theme weaved throughout Friday from beginning to end. Many of us began the day not-bright-yet and early at 5:30 am so we could head to a 6:00 church service in a huge pole barn.

From the moment we stepped inside the big white warehouse-looking building, I could hear slow guitar and piano notes and a slight drumbeat under a man’s Creole spoken words. We found our seats, and I started to feel my emotions swell with the chord progressions. Because the entire service was in Creole, I had the chance to reflect on my volunteer experience so far, my remarkable teammates, the Haitians in the room with me, and the ones who weren’t.

I kept my eyes, ears and mind open as I allowed everything to flow in—and out. Tears welled in my eyes, and although I initially tried fighting it to keep from drawing attention to myself, I let my tears fall by midservice. Happy tears, sad tears, grateful tears, hopeful tears. This is very unlike me, and it was truly the music that set my feelings loose.

I watched local church-goers pace up and down the aisles with their hands in the air saying their own prayers with such conviction that I know the music was moving them, too. I was clappin’ and groovin’ during a joyous song right before we left, and I saw a happy fellow stop his dancing journey to translate one line of a song as he passed our group. He wanted to make sure we didn’t miss the lyrics so we could fully take in the song. My smile grew as I sang and clapped harder before we headed out to serve the citizens of Haiti.

Music kept flowing throughout the day. While at a home for sick and dying adults, some gals and I serenaded the ladies while lotioning their dry skin and painting their nails. Our renditions of Backstreet Boys, The Little Mermaid, and Spice Girls jams were a big hit and brought many smiles to the women in their hospital beds. I hope our soothing touch and entertainment lifted their spirits and made them feel loved for even a short time. 

At Sacred Heart home, another for abandoned women, we sang songs and made jewelry for the ladies. Kaylee made the cutest connection with a blind woman in a wheelchair who taught her a children’s song. When they were apart for a bit, one of them would start singing “do do ti ti cama calla lou” and they were brought back together and holding hands in no time. The joy this quick friendship brought to the room was beautiful. Before we left, Sister Aleda belted out a rockin’ song that got everyone clapping and dancing.

We went to an authentic Haitian restaurant for dinner and were greeted with live music. I met eyes with the musician as I sang along to “Redemption Song,” and we shared a smile across the room. Our group chatted and laughed throughout the meal while various musicians provided a warm ambiance. A handful of our team members danced cheek to cheek under the stars while a Wyclef Jean sound-alike created the perfect close to our meal. We sang a few songs in the tap tap on the way home to round out the evening.

Music continues to bring our team members closer together, and with each stop on our trip we share the universal language. Whether singing in English or Creole, songs and smiles go hand in hand. You never know how your spirit will be set free.

Love from Haiti,
Amanda Bartschenfeld
Roseville, Minnesota

Read more about my experience at www.akbinhaiti.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment