Sunday, January 17, 2016

Defining Moments

It's 15 degrees below zero today in Minnesota. Tomorrow I will go through a 100 degree plus change in weather. And that's just the beginning. Differences between Haiti and Minnesota will be apparent before I leave the Port au Prince airport. Language, music, smells, and colors immediately flood my senses when I step off the plane.

I just checked my passport. This is my 10th trip to Haiti in the 4 years since Fr. Reiser passed away. For most of the team traveling with me, this is their first trip. So I pause to remember my first time there. I reflect on what it felt like to step off that plane...so eager to see what had captured Fr. Reiser's heart.

At church today we heard from John 2, when Jesus performed his first miracle and turned water into wine. Surely for many of his disciples, this was a defining moment for them. A moment when they witnessed a divine presence in their midst, altering their life path.

Our pastor asked us all to reflect on a defining moment in our lives. A moment that changed the course of our life, even if we didn't realize it at the time it occurred.

I immediately thought of giving a eulogy at Fr. Reiser's funeral. There, gripping a podium in front of thousands of people, I reflected on the incredible life he led. With tears in my eyes I shared how he continued to praise God and inspire others until his last breath. And with a lump in my throat, I challenged the crowd to uphold that legacy. But truly, now that I look back at that moment, I was challenging myself. That was a moment that changed the course of my life and transformed me.

I am humbled to lead a wonderful team this week in Haiti and to witness transformations as we give our lives fully to God.  Holy Spirit, lead us, guide us, fill us. May we bring Glory to God in all we do.

Peace,
Joyce

1 comment: