Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Just One

When I was a child I would watch the commercials on TV where celebrities would visit third world countries and feed the hungry and ask for donations…I remember thinking that if I were rich and famous I would love to go there too and feed all the hungry people. Unfortunately, I never became rich and famous so I did nothing.

When I was an adult, I had a conversation with my grandma and she said, I know if you had a million dollars you would take in hundreds of kids and live on a ranch! She was right, but I never had that kind of money so again, I did nothing.

Then I went to Haiti! One of the first things I did at the guest house was visit the gift shop. That was the beginning of the change for me. I saw a necklace that read, ““If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one.” Mother Teresa. I wish I would have read that sooner…who knows how many people I could have fed by now either by giving them food or love…one by one…one person at a time. Maybe it would have motivated a friend or family member to reach out and help just one person…maybe by now that one act could have had led to hundreds of acts from either myself or others around me.

In Haiti we met some amazing people. They knew they had to help…knew they had to do something…didn’t know how they were going to afford it…didn’t know if they could physically take on the challenge but they knew they had to do something. Imagine if they gave up because they weren’t rich or famous…how many more Haitian kids would be living in poverty, without food or clothing…shelter or love. The individuals we met that ran the orphanages, cared for the disabled and ran the Sick and Dying Babies Center didn’t let excuses get in their way…they didn’t say things like “if only”, or “when it’s more convenient, I will help” They just did it…followed their calling…followed their faith and just did it.

I may not ever become rich and famous or be able to house hundreds of children but I now know that I don’t have to…I can feed just one person…make a difference to just one person…no excuses…just faith…just do it.

~Samantha Randle





No comments:

Post a Comment