Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Reflection

As I have been back from Haiti for over a week now, it has given me time to pause and process some of the experiences I had.  While there was definitely a lot to think back on, taking time to collect ones thoughts and examine them are a natural way humans attempt to make sense of things.  But where to start?  What should I make of this or that?  Is one experience more powerful than another?  What do I do with the information?  What should I be doing now or in the future?  What changes do I need to make in my life? These are all things I kept asking myself as I recalled the journey we all took.

I think for me the lasting memories are twofold; the individual interactions with the Haitian people and those supporting them, as well as those within our own team.  It can be difficult to not think constantly about the hardships we saw or the general state of things in Haiti.  In fact, it can be downright overwhelming at times.  With that said however, I equally recall the warm and generous people we came across and the smiles that helped to ease some of the sadness.  I definitely came away with a stronger respect for the Haitian people and their sense of pride in whatever they do.  In addition, I was so impressed by the individuals who are devoting their lives to assist others wherever they can.  Their sacrifice and call to serve is like no other I have seen.  And finally, who can forget the children?  Their enthusiastic welcomes, beautiful faces and general excitement were simply amazing, regardless of their individual situations. 

As far as our team goes, I will have lasting memories there as well.  You cannot spend a week plus with a group of people and not generate some kind of bond from your shared experiences.  The ups and downs, the sights and smells, the support and caring given to each other throughout our time in Haiti was awesome.  Even when we were all physically and mentally drained, there were always smiles to be had and songs to be sang.  It was comforting to know that you could share your feelings openly and rely on your team to help pick you back up.  I have made new relationships that I hope to maintain and cultivate in the coming years as a result.

So in closing, what did I take from this whole experience (outside of my direct interactions with those I came across)?  What profound, life-altering decisions did I make?  When is my next mission trip?  What did I learn about myself?  I can honestly say that I still don’t know the answers to all of these questions.  Reflection is about continuing to analyze your experiences, actions, feelings and motives.  If anything, I am turning that reflection more inwards towards myself on how I can leverage those experiences in my everyday life, and in turn, hopeful that it will help guide me in the right direction for whatever I decide is next.  In a more simplistic way, reflection is a way to not forget and a vehicle for initiating change.        

Brian Olson



    

No comments:

Post a Comment