Thursday, March 10, 2016

Seeing God in the Poor

Haiti
By Jerry Welle
3.10.16

Although it is my first time here, I have heard much about Haiti from my wife, Mary, who has been here many times. Because of this, I was not “surprised” by the poverty and chaos of Haiti. The traffic is worse than I imagined, and the smell of the city is worse than I expected. Yet despite the “challenges” of Haiti, the Holy Spirit is alive and strong here. God has led some of his most committed followers to Haiti. The most overwhelming experience for me has been praying and working alongside the Sisters, Priests, and Brothers who are “all in” for God. They have committed their whole lives to the poor, abandoned, elderly, and handicapped in Haiti. I felt as though I was walking with true saints as I visited them and their facilities. They have sacrificed their whole lives and surrendered their wills to serving God. Their love shines out and is displayed in their great joy, peace, and exuberance for their work. They are God’s presence on earth for me.
I have heard many times about seeing God in the poor. I have always struggled with that concept; it just didn’t “register” with me, until now. I have seen God in Haiti in the eyes of the sick infants I held (even though I’m not a baby guy), and I have seen God in the joy displayed by the abandoned elderly when I helped paint their fingernails and toenails. They were so filled with joy and seeing their eyes lit up moved me.

I am honored and blessed that our Pastor, Father Talbot, makes time, despite his busy schedule at our home parish, to reach out to the poor in Haiti. He has touched the lives of so many both at home and abroad.

Tomorrow, Mary and I will have been married 38 years. Haiti has become a real passion for her, and I am so proud of her, and truly blessed to share this trip with her. God’s love is with us; it is everywhere we look. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary.



No comments:

Post a Comment