Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Change, Love, Diva

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable, and perfect. Romans 12:2. 

Haiti, yes transforming happens. This is my 6th trip to the country. When we flew in Monday, I wasn't fazed, been here seen this. The airport was chaos. Have I become used to this place?  Did God really even have a plan for me? 

Of course. Cite Soleil. it's never the same. It changes as we do too. 3 different water stops. 17, the one with hope, Hope Church. Where 200+ adults go to school in the evening. Their children will start in the fall. That is change. The Reiser truck, delivering water 6 days a week. Free. That is love. A team of 14, 7 first timers, and 7 return trip goers. Tears as we enter, a look of disbelief, a smile. We're here! Hey you! I pick you, do you pick me? 

As a leader i was trying to capture the moment for each of our team. I was doing my job. Then God whispered in my ear, "Look, he needs you." The camera went into my pocket. And I held him, we sang, I prayed, he held tighter, I felt a rattle in his chest. I cried. I am not harder.

There was love, my love, his love, God's love. I saw the smiles from the team, and the smiles and laughter from the children. I saw hand games, children being held, water, buckets being lifted and carried. I had seen this all, but what I saw was different. It was new, and fresh. 

Stop 19. It to was calmer, quieter, brighter, but more kids to hold to play with, to love on. I hadn't been here, it too was new. 

Our last stop, 26. My favorite. This is where in October of 2013, my first trip I connected with a little girl. Her face and dimples, her smile and sassiness...Diva. For the next 2 trips to Haiti I would find her, or maybe she found me. Whatever the case we connected. Last year in July, I didn't find her. I was heartbroken. This year I was prepared to not see her, and would do what I was called to do. I carried buckets, a long way. It was hot! I didn't mind the water sloshing out onto my legs and feet. I felt alive. I had a chance to walk alone back for more buckets, and just observe.  It was amazing. 

The water was done and we headed to the pier; fishy smells, naked swimmers, boats, nets, shrimp, so much to take in. And then, in an instant, there she was. Diva. I could tell immediately it was her. She had a missing tooth, one new one growing in. Why hadn't I ever noticed other kids with missing teeth? Her dimples weren't as deep, but her smile and laughter was what I had in my heart. We sang and snuggled. Again, I saw the change and growth that only God can provide. I can only imagine more transforming that will happen to me, but also to 13 others. 

Blessings from Haiti! 

Christine Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment