Friday, May 24, 2013

Nothing

This morning we watched two nuns renew their vows at morning mass.  What a touching ceremony.  These sisters, who from my perspective already give of themselves totally to Christ, annually renew their vows of chastity, poverty, obedience and to love and serve God in all ways.  I wish I could begin every day witnessing such dedication and faith.

We were privileged today to also meet with a Catholic priest who has served in Haiti for decades and supports multiple ministries throughout the country.   His stories and experience were invaluable to us and left me with a sense of peace and a renewed commitment to follow as God leads us in Haiti.   Short term missionaries to Haiti are often asked what they do in Haiti.  This priest suggested that to respond "I did nothing" is appropriate and desirable.  Rather than come to Haiti from an American perspective of doing, fixing, and changing we can better serve by coming with a humble attitude of learning, listening, building relationships and breaking bread together.  We are all broken, we all have faults and imperfections, and God loves us unconditionally as we are.

We toured some of his ministries ranging from educating barefoot children to providing a meal and safe place to rest for impoverished elderly.  He does much more than nothing.  It's a ministry that has been built shoulder to shoulder with Haitians over a period of 20 years.  Fantastic.  Inspiring.  Humbling.
When my husband Greg and I were married by my uncle, Fr. Reiser, he gave us a Bible and encouraged us to read this passage from Romans 8:38-39 together:

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.  No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Walking back to the guest house mid day a young boy ran to put his arm around me and walk with me.  I asked the usual questions:  how are you?  what is your name?  Than I asked, "What are you doing today?"  (mid-day when children his age ought to be in school...but this is not an option for this little boy).  His response brought tears to my eyes.  

"Nothing."

Peace
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment