Saturday, May 25, 2013

Reasonable Happiness

Our last full day in Haiti.   We made another trip to Reiser Heights with many side adventures including an overheated radiator, a zoo with less than 10 living animals (including 2 goats and 3 bunnies), visiting our new friends who live near Reiser Heights, an indescribably bumpy road to a church in a small village with the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen in Haiti, a stop at the Haitian auto parts store to buy a new battery for the 'pikop,'  and passing newlyweds on a motorcycle (white tux, white gown, red bike). 

We started our day at Mass where we were encouraged to pursue reasonable happiness.   I finally have a phrase for what captivates me when watching many Haitians.  Poverty is not glamorous.  It's dirty, difficult, smelly and unjust.  Yet time and again I see poor Haitians who seem happy.  Often happier than many Americans I know who are materially rich.  What gives?



Do we have a tendency to seek unreasonable happiness?  Is seeking out the finest products, the ultimate experience, or the most power going to make us happy?  It may give us a temporary sense of triumph, but is it reasonable?   Or is joy in the little moments in life.  Is joy allowing a childlike sense of wonder and awe fill our hearts and minds, uncluttered by the pursuit of anything?  Is it taking time to chat, to smile, to joke, to lighten another person's load that we should pursue?

Haiti forces me to unplug.  Until I'm back at the guesthouse with WiFi, my cell phone doesn't function, I don't know that time it is, and my mind has freedom to wander, wonder and be.   

Given this freedom from life I had so many moments of reasonable happiness today: 
-Watching the little Haitian girls at Mass extend the sign of peace to every smiling nun in the room
-Visiting once again 'Little Miss Attitude' at Reiser Heights and holding 2 month old Rose Darling while she made cooing noises
-Finding new sheet metal for 2 families living in oh so humble homes with leaky roofs
-Listening to a country priest explain with pride the numbers of faithful members of his flock and his plans for the parish feast day
-Seeing the completed roof on the Community Center at Reiser Heights.
-Seeing tropical farm land flourishing with vegetables as well as banana, bamboo and mango trees.
-Watching Ann trying to keep up with a fast moving Haitian on a country road while they were both passed by a lively donkey.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

In many ways it reminds me of my Uncle Fr. Reiser.  He used the phrase "Excellent!" to summarize a positive attitude toward life and finding the joy in the moment.  I know he was with us today in spirit today.  And I think he is reasonably happy.

Peace,
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment