Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Confounding Witness

It is the morning of day three and I am still processing yesterday.

The things I saw were confounding.  They are beyond anything I thought possible, and my sense of reality has been seriously challenged.

I spent the day in the poorest place on planet earth.   I came with no expectations other than to make a 'difference.'   
Yet I am pretty sure the only transformation I made was in myself.   I wake the next day with more questions than answers. 

Amid all hopelessness, I witnessed... .   I witnessed.   
Naked, hot, with distended bellies, the children who longed for nothing more than a hug and a bucket of water, I met their every want.

Yet I do not understand.   

Today as I reflect I do find some solace (not that it matters.)
Firstly, it is possible I have found a cure for anxiety.  The next time I feel an attack coming on, I hope I can cut through my clouded mind with memories of my day in Cite Soleil.   Any 'problem' I could come up with has nothing on what the children of the slum put up with before sunrise each day.

Second, music continues to be a constant in the world; A binding agent.   As we prepared to depart our first water stop, the children started getting a bit frantic.  We stood in a circle at the site of Hope (a church being built) and one of our guides stepped to the center and started singing 'God is so good, he's so good he's so good.'   Every child immediately joined in chorus.   From the chaos came instant order. 

Dave Livermore

No comments:

Post a Comment