Wednesday, July 8, 2015

It's a big world out there

I have been in Haiti for all of about eight hours and already am developing a deep appreciation for all the riches and blessings I really do have.   

First.   
Electricity.   We were in the airport for 10 minutes before the power flashed out for a few minutes.   By 7:30 pm, as we were all meeting to discuss tomorrow's adventures, the power went out no one even blinked.

Our transport from the airport was a truck with the bed removed and a metal cage put in its place with a roof over top.   Two benches allowed for seating and two rails with hand holds served to help those who were standing.  Our minivan has nothing on this beast.  

In our neighborhood, there are two potholes that give me reason to flinch every time I drive up the street.  They were recently repaired.   
After riding from the airport to the guest house, I think I experienced a lifetime's worth.   The narrow streets aren't even paved.   

There have been few times in my life where I was truly happy with the water pressure of my shower.  Dorms were the best and a few hotels have been rather impressive.  But other than that I can always find something to complain about.  
Never. Again.  
First Haitian shower. 
One faucet.   
Cold trickle.  And it felt amazing!

Wifi issues.  Who cares if you don't have access to to wifi?  There isn't a single bar of cell service either.  But no one seems too concerned here. 

Air Conditioning;  we have no idea how good we got it.  The push of a button controls the climate perfectly.  Most of the people around us have no concept at all.

Convenience store?   I think not.

I have always said that it is a big world out there.  But I really had no idea what that meant. 

Dave Livermore

No comments:

Post a Comment