Saturday, October 17, 2015

Serving and being served


Haiti Day 5 -- Village of Jesus

After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. -- John 3:5

Today we visited the Sisters at the Village of Jesus, Home for Abandoned Women, in Leogane. The efforts of these women should not be under-appreciated. They run a school for preschool through 6th-grade aged kids, a self-sustaining 14-acre farm and a women's shelter for abandoned elderly women -- about 40 women. 

We came prepared to spend the day with the women, bringing a light lunch to share with them, nail polish, craft projects and music. We spent the morning visiting the school, and being sung to by each classroom; touring the farm and drinking straight out of coconuts the sisters had brought for us from one of their coconut trees; and when we got back to the shelter, the sisters had prepared an incredible Haitian lunch of chicken, goat, rice, beans, gravy, vegetables and candy. With cold soda, water and even Prestige, the Haitian beer. It was incredible. And we felt completely honored. We were there to serve and yet we were being served. 

When the ladies finished lunch, we joined them all in the courtyard to enjoy each other's company and participate in some of the activities we had brought. Personally, I'm a fan of painting my nails, and after hearing that the women really enjoy when we come and paint their nails, I was excited for this task in particular. Well, one thing I've learned while being on this trip, is that help is not always needed exactly where you want it to be needed and one important trait to have is flexibility. You need to be ready to jump in and help where it IS needed. Today, nails weren't needed. When the bucket we had brought along to wash the women's feet landed in my hands, I was apprehensive at first, but quickly turned the corner. I asked where we could fill it up, and brought the water bucket and a cloth to where the women were sitting. What I didn't expect was the calmness and simplicity that came with washing the feet of these women. 

When I was younger, I remember going to mass on Holy Thursday and seeing other people get their feet washed or washing other people's feet. It was not something I understood at the time. As I've gotten older, the story and reasons for why Jesus washed the feet of his disciples make sense, but I've never participated in the ceremonial tradition of the feet washing. In a time when feet seem to be an extremity that we would prefer others keep to themselves, and we get pedicures if we know our toes will be showing (I'm even guilty of preparing my feet BEFORE I go get the pedicure), washing a strangers feet does not seem appealing. And yet today, I didn't hesitate. 

The water temperature was perfect -- cool and refreshing, but not cold. The women's feet were so delicate -- even after a lifetime of walking barefoot over rocks, garbage and concrete.  The quickness at which they removed their shoes showed an eagerness for what they knew was to come, that only encouraged me more. After a morning of feeling more served by the Sisters, than serving them, washing these women's feet was humbling and needed. I've had an awkward feeling during my time in Haiti -- as if I was too privileged to be coming into the homes and spaces of some of these people -- do they even want me here? -- even if I was helping. But this experience made me feel like I was in the right place - really serving these women - and I'm fortunate to have been able to experience this. 

We ended our time with the women by singing and dancing some of our, and their, favorite songs. The women that could get up and danced utilized every moment of this time and danced their hearts out. As we left, we made sure to tell the Sisters that next time we came, please to not make a big fuss and a big lunch. But oh, we would be fine with the Prestige! ;)

Abbey Brau



No comments:

Post a Comment