Saturday, October 19, 2013

Day with Elderly

A day filled with touching moments.  We headed north to Titanyen to purchase food for some elderly people who have no one to take care of them.  The average life expectancy in Haiti is just 52, and these men and women have outlived their own children.  They may have a grandchild or two to help out, but they are pretty much on their own.  We sang with and prayed for these elders and checked up on their general well-being.  We rubbed lotion into arms and legs that had seen many years of hard and strenuout work.  Most of these precious men and women ae living in little more than shacks which were hastily contructed after the 2010 earthquake.  Their wants are so basic: a solid floor, roof leaks repaired, a bed.  And yet their joy seems to know no bounds.

Truly beautiful souls.

Patty Munson



Amazing, beautiful and exhausting day "doing nothing."  I felt uncomfortable coming to spend a week in Haiti without a project or activity.  It was hard to imagine what purpose we would serve.  Seeing the joy and laughter of the children we played with at Grace Village, and witnessing the soft spoken prayer and singing from the elderly we delivered food to directly from the street market was truly amazing and blessed me beyond belief.

Watching my son, Nick, and experiencing this through him has been so awesome.  He is truly in his element and jumps right in to hold, or play with kids and paint fingernails of the elderly ladies we visit.  Can't wait to see where this experience leads him in the future.

Sandy Zarembinski




Just when I think that my blessings are more than enough, God's love splashes even more into my overfilled cup.  Today we made a brief stop to drop off supplies, and once again were surrounded by school age children....from there we entered the market, not alone, to purchase food and drink for the elderly.

The rest of the day I was able to yet again be filled with life, from the 1 month old baby I held, cradled and soothed, to the prayers and blessings of a 104 year old woman named Marie!  No one can deny the love and strength that is among those in this country...despite the poverty, and conditions...I can't even describe what I have seen...God is alive and here with his people...how can I deny His presence when I know a Haitian woman, whom I have met just once praying for me...and the rest of our amazing team...God is so good, He's so Good!  Thank you for the love and support that you are all sending us!

Christine Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment