Thursday, October 17, 2013

Struggle

Today we made the journey to the Village of Jesus.  Father Reiser helped construct this home for up to 50 elderly women in need and a handful of Sisters many years ago.  There are still reminders of him throughout: a laminated poster on the wall with pictures of the original construction along with Father Reiser; a plaque with his face etched into stone; and a Sister who remembers him and examined Joyce for facial similarities.  It's a humbling feeling knowing that someone who shares the same blood as me helped start something so great.



The women are clean, well fed, comfortable, and have a bed to call their own.  In recent days of this trip, we encountered many people who did not have those luxuries.  Children walking the streets in Cite Soleil completely naked, covered in dirt, bloated bellies from starvation and malnutrition.  Men and women so thin that they look like a skeleton with skin draped over it.  We helped many small children carry buckets that weighed more than they did into their homes.  Inside the homes were a few personal belongings and a mattress on the dirt ground if they were lucky.  The streets were overflowing with garbage and raw sewage.  When I think about what I saw today, and what I saw on the previous days...I really struggle with what I want to pour my effort into.  What am I most passionate about?

Where would these elderly women be if the Village of Jesus didn't exist?  hat can we do to help the people in the slums of Cite Soleil?   

Everyone I meet in Haiti touches my heart, but how can I help them all?  How can I be as great as Father Reiser?  I struggle with this thought. 

On our way to the Village of Jesus there was a man standing in the road near a speed bump.  He was on crutches and had one leg.  He was asking for help from every car that passed.  On our way there, we zoomed right by him.  As we were leaving for the day, one of our Haitian drivers/interpreters grabbed a coca cola.  When we reached that same speed bump 6 hours later on our way home, the one legged man was still there.  The driver grabbed the coke and handed it to him.  He surely helped that man, at least for today.



I guess I have to think of things on small scale, and remember to grab that coca cola for the one Haitian who needs a little hope today.

Kim Maciej




No comments:

Post a Comment