Friday, January 9, 2015

Moments

Moments; we anticipate, we plan, we fret, we plan some more, and then we remember to simply pray…and when it comes right down to it, the moments were already planned for us. In my mind, I had planned them as well getting ready for this trip to Haiti; the heat, the smells, the kids, and the people, but when it comes down to it, my moments have now become memories, in a blink of an eye. 

On Tuesday we were headed into Cite Soleil and I was praying for my moment…and when I believed it wouldn’t happen, my heart sank. On each of my past two trips to Haiti, I was blessed to find a special little girl, whom I referred to as Diva. I knew her water stop, 26, and prayed we would find her. By God’s Grace, I spotted her before we were even off the tap tap, and I then I had my moment…she yelled Hey You, and I yelled back…and then she was in my arms! It was my moment…but certainly not the last! 

From there, the moments continued…sick and dying babies,  so frail, I was afraid I would hurt them…but I knew I was being the hands of Jesus, and He was guiding his touch and healing onto them. At the wound clinic, it was fear of the moment…could I help, would I know what to do…and again, the moment was full of peace as we carefully helped.  I felt filled with God Grace, and how could I need anymore?  

Then just when I thought I was filled, God continued his blessings. Thursday was the beauty of Haiti, as we traveled up into the mountains to Reiser Heights, and again I hoped for a moment to give out books to each child, but because this is Haiti, kids weren’t there, only a handful was…and again, God had the moment planned. A young 10 year old boy, with special needs, latched quickly to many of us…running was difficult, yet he did, and laughed along with the others. Soon, he found a friend in me, and together we had moments. He was non verbal, but his beautiful spirit shone through his eyes. I sang, I prayed, I counted, and I did the ABC’s, we rocked, and we were close…and this time, my moment lasted longer then I could have ever imagined. It was nearing time to leave, and I hope he felt happy as we watched the others fly through the air in the arms of others.He would not go to anyone else nor did he want to be spun or tossed, but then, the tickle spot was found, and a moment of pure joy and laughter for us both! How amazing is our God? 

Finally, today, our 4th day of service, as we are all feeling a bit tired, and worn, as we traveled again to be with sick and dying adults.  These moments were brief, with a hand or foot massage for many, and a prayer for healing, as our time was short, but for all of us, it was moments of quiet and touch. Too soon again we went into the taptap for yet more team moments of bonding and singing, and driving. Our final stop was to be with elderly ladies at the Village of Jesus, with no families to care for them. These were moments of singing, dancing, serving pb&j and juice to them, and then time for hand and foot massages, and new nail colors. These are women who don’t get as many visitors, and savor every possible moment we have together..and then I wondered, who will savor them longer, them or me? 


The moments here in Haiti, are too great to count, and too great to remember each one, but they are moments God has planned for each of us as we continue this journey. In Haiti, it is easy to stop and remember the moments, and to reflect back. It is the “real world” where moments rarely have a chance to be a memory…how blessed I am to be here, in this moment!

Christine Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment