Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Notes from Jamie and Joe...Water and Smiles


It is funny as Americans that we are focused on giving our children more than what we had when we were kids.  Xbox's, designer clothes and the newest cell phones are just a few of the things that our kids may have received this past Christmas.  We as an American society are so consumed with material items.  The kids in Cite Soleil have none of these items.  They are lucky to have clothes on their back and water.  That being said, the smiles we received today were brighter and larger than anything I have ever from my kids at Christmas or any other time.  The kids here have nothing, but yet they have everything.  Half naked walking on glass and jagged sea shells - they smile and hold your hand like you are the only person they want to see.  They have never met me, yet they act like I am a long lost uncle. (By Jamie Lanigan)

This is my first mission trip.  It is also my first time to Haiti.  Today we delivered water, via water truck, to Cite Soleil.  The kids in this area were so happy to see us.  As a matter of fact, I can't remember anyone in my life happier to see me than these kids.  Each place we would go, three total, the kids would come running after the truck until it came to a stop.  Some of the kids didn't always wait until the truck came to a stop, jumping onto the back of the truck as we drove down the road. Upon exiting the back of the truck the kids would literally jump into your arms before your feet would even hit the ground.  Typically, at each of the three stops, one child would immediately create a bond with me and we would hang out the entire water stop (about 1 hour).  It was amazing to me that such a bond could be created in such a short amount of time.  Such a bond that if I were to return months from now we pick up right where we left off, like no time had passed at all.  I find it very difficult to explain in words my experience today. It is one of love, compassion, education, and surprise. (By Joe Jelinek)


2 comments:

  1. It was so soul satisfying to read your blogs!! There is a deep love of Haiti that is formed when only those who have walked amongst the children can come to know and remember forever. Take in each day and each moment!!

    ReplyDelete